Sunday 14 November 2004

Wong To Watch

Your new track Orchestra Boroughs is out now and selling like spare ribs on a Saturday night. What’s the concept?
You’ve got myself repping South, Crazy Titch from East, JME from North then Flirta D from West. The video’s out now, the hypest video on Channel U right now.

Who is Mr Wong then?
Mr Wong is basically a Chinese boy, very energetic, crazy at times, quiet some of the time, melodical, raw and just real. My music is coming a bit different to other people out there. The way I write and the way I deliver them has character. I even do love songs.

When did you start out?
At secondary school but shit fucked up and I had to go my own way. No one around me has ever been serious, I can relate to JME’s track trust me! But now I’m 20 years old, stronger and doing me. I feel old though, I’m checking for grey hairs. I’ve released bits with Jammer and that before but this is my first big thing I feel.

What’s next?
I’m going to be doing a video for the next track, So Many, which I’ve done with a singer from North London called Charlie. It’s my secret weapon. I’m hoping to have that out by the end of the year. I’ve given Titch a track for his album and I’m trying to finish mine off too. The Getting Stronger Mix CD is coming out at the end of the month, it’s needed to be out there for a while.

Your mixtape is definitely different…
Yeah you know what I’m like, I’m broke as hell so I’m doing it cheaper. I don’t care about the money I just want to get it around. I feel the pressure, there’s a lot of competition out there, so I just got to do me and work hard.

Favourite track on it?
I don’t have one to be honest, I love everything I do and everything I produce so everything is a favourite.

Got some fresh bars for us Wong?
Yeah, try this for size…“Hello that’s what I said to your girl, she wanted a wok so I gave her a wok, she said I was sweet but she was sour, that’s why it lasted half an hour/ After the wok I took out the wok and made her some egg fried rice she was still hungry the big fat bitch so I gave her my big prawn balls/ So look at you boy, your girl wants me, she doesn’t like you, she likes me cause I can give her what you can’t, and that’s blackenese kids, I can take her China and buy her a big fat plasma tv and spring rolls, instead of the £1 chicken and chips you buy her…”

Mr Wong “Getting Stronger” is out now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

are those 'fresh bars' a (bad) joke or does the guy really have nothing better to say than this infantile rubbish?

Chantelle Fiddy said...

This is standard Mr Wong lyricism. He's somebody who amuses me rather than impresses me with depth etc... Prefer him as a producer to an MC though. His fanbase (although perhaps small) is appearing eclectic to say the least!

Anonymous said...

is there anywhere you can download mr wongs latest video clip of orchestral boroughs? the one where they are having a fight?

Chantelle Fiddy said...

Not that I'm aware of, it's been taken off Channel U too (because of that fight scene). Will find out from Wong though. He also has a new video dropping soon.

Anonymous said...

mr wongs a badman, best character in the scene standardly. southeast representin. new bars are HEAVY, last line is deep

optimus from the se4 way