Wednesday 1 December 2004

My real i-D

Some vigilant associates have noticed that myself and Hattie made it into this months i-D magazine. Relegated more like. I shouldn't play, we were very pleased to get all up in the gloss and that, complete with Free Riko vests and an entourage of MC's backing us (dare I say we looked kinda fly). But the contributors would have made the 250 had the work experience not miscounted (note 269 in the 250 list alone), hence penultimate page. Oh well. Glass half empty or half full? I'm a half full kind of girl, yet I can't deny my 'oh fuck it' outburst when I saw they'd switched some of mine and Hattie's profile text around. For the record, I'm not the hip hop ya don't stop, I am in fact the thesaurus loving grime guru. Well at least we got that cleared up. I haven't had much time to get personal or update my profile, so for those that wanna know, here are the real answers...

Name:
Chantelle Fiddy & Hattie Collins

When were you first in i-D?
Fiddy: A late arrival I surfaced in the ’04.
Collins: In 2002.

The work we do is…
Individually we write lines, create verse, play with words and aim to bring street culture at home and abroad to the forefront of every publication that will have us (bar the Daily Mail).

The five words that best describe me are…
Fiddy: A thesaurus loving grime guru
Collins: Hip hop ya don’t stop

My greatest achievement so far is…
Fiddy: Living in E2. One day I’ll make it to Bow E3, one day…
Collins: Been on Crossroads…the first time round

25 years ago I was…
Fiddy: Waiting to happen
Collins: Only five and kicking arse on BBC2’s Play Chess. Actually it was a draw but hey.

The best advice I've been given is…
Fiddy: Keep your eyes open and legs shut (thanks for that Hattie)
Collins: Be reliable and keep it real.

The best thing in my life is…
Fiddy: Hattie Collins
Collins: Chantelle Fiddy

My greatest hope for the next 25 years is…
Fiddy: That grime is still as good, I’ll give up smoking, find my way with words oh and that Hattie Collins retires and I reign supreme! Ha ha ha!
Collins: For World peace, happiness for all man kind, the end to homelessness and that I finally win Miss World.

The last time we celebrated was…
Not that long ago

And it was for…
The MOBO awards

We celebrated with…
Crazy Titch and lots of Bacardi cocktails

And we wore…
What we wore is immaterial but as you are so nosey Collins stole the show in a saucy Basque and not a lot else while Fiddy donned a quiff, an exquisite PPQ dress and some shoes that cost £15 from Diva on Bethnal Green high street.

Nobody knows we…
Live together

We move our feet when we hear…
Lethal B ‘Pow’, Riko ‘Don’t Want U Back’, Terror Squad ‘Lean Back’, Mr Wong ‘Orchestra Boroughs’, anything by Lil Jon, Roll Deep, and the ladies from Fury to Foxy.

We love the smell of…
Clean pants, hi-grade, Body Shop’s Coconut Body Butter and fresh vinyl.

Our favourite drink is…
Mojhito’s

We had the time of our life's when we…
Were whisked to Puerto Rico for five days to interview the queen of hip hop, Missy Elliott, for 45 minutes…between us.

2 comments:

John said...

What would it take you to get started hosting MP3's?
I'm an ocean away but i desperately want to hear more of this.
Drop by my site and get a sense of what I'd like to see.
Neat spot in any case.

Chantelle Fiddy said...

If I knew how to upload/host MP3's I'd be more than happy to do it!